Monday, April 29, 2013

Times of Refreshing


From Henry’s Desk

 
“ … that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord” (Acts 3:19, NIV)

I have used the above text a few times in preparation for and the continuation of renewal.  Using the whole verse, Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, you can easily see four steps:
                                                                                                   
1.      Repentance

2.      Returning

3.      Restoration

4.      Refreshing

 Let’s take a look at it in another situation, our time alone with god.  Nothing is more important than our relationship with God, and it is important to build intimacy with Him.  In order for that to take place, we need to spend time alone with Him.

I know I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know, but if you are like me, sometimes your quiet time is right on, and sometimes you are in a slump.  I thought I’d write a few things for the slump times.

First of all, don’t get into a situation where you feel like you have to do certain things every time, that is just legalism, and won’t bring life.   There are many things you can do to spend time in God’s presence, i.e. prayer, scripture reading, meditating on scripture, singing, spiritual reading,  thinking, etc.  I want to focus in on sitting in His presence.

If you are having a spiritual slump, or even if you are not, I think this will help you.  Go to a place that is quiet where you will not be disturbed.  Get before the Lord repenting of substituting business in place of Him.  Tell Him you are returning to Him, that He is all you want and that you just want to sit in His presence.  Ask Him to restore your fellowship with Him and then wait.  As He brings His manifest presence, don’t say anything.  Just stay in His manifest presence, connected with Him, letting His presence wash over you, fill you, heal you, direct you, refresh you or whatever else He may want to do.

He wants to spend time with us and we are changed in his presence.  I am reminded of the song “Who Am I” by Casting Crowns.

 Who Am I
Casting Crowns

 Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the Bright and Morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart

Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You're

Chorus:
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours

Who Am I, that the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love and watch me rise again
Who Am I, that the voice that calmed the sea
Would call out through the rain
And calm the storm in me

I am Yours
Whom shall I fear
Whom shall I fear
'Cause I am Yours
I am Yours

No comments: