Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bad Tongue Moment


My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. (Jas1:19-20 NIV)


Most of us have had bad hair days. It is not something we usually enjoy because we do not want to be seen with ugly up on top of our heads. However, a bad tongue moment gives people a glimpse of the ugly in our hearts.

After a bad tongue moment the other day, I came to the same conclusion that I am sure others have already come to. That I sometimes live out the opposite of the above verse. I have been know to speak quickly and abundantly, listen poorly and misunderstand, and be angered easily because of being overly sensitive or misinformed.

In Matthew 12 we see that out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. What comes out of us when we are jostled speaks loudly about what is inside of us. When what comes out is displeasing to God, we need to take appropriate steps.

Proverbs 10:19, which is worded When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise, should surely slow down how quickly we speak and the amount of words that we say. A good prayer about this is ‘Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD and keep watch over the door of my lips. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.’ (Ps 141:3; 19:14)

I came across the following prayer by Don Schwager and it also seems to fit here: "Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred let me sow love. Where there is injury let me sow pardon. Where there is doubt let me sow faith. Where there is despair let me give hope. Where there is darkness let me give light. Where there is sadness let me give joy."

No comments: