Monday, April 23, 2007

Lab Dogs And Deodorant Spray

"My writer friends, and they are legion, do not go around beaming with quiet feelings of contentment. Most of them go around with haunted, abused, surprised looks on their faces, like lab dogs on whom very personal deodorant sprays have been tested."

(From Bird By Bird Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott. I found this on a post at Simply Simon recommending the book - http://simoncareyholt.typepad.com/weblog/2007/04/anne_lamott.html ... looks like a good book.)

It made me laugh out loud. I was so taken with the look the lab dogs would have on their faces. I could so imagine and relate with how they must have felt. Yes, I was in the process of having one of those mornings. Then I had to make a decision.


Do I go about looking at the rest of the day through offended eyes or do I forgive and view the rest of the day with clear eyes.

I think it would have been great to have immediately chosen forgiveness and a clear view of life. I didn't ... I had to think about it for a while. O, how I wanted an apology, an admittance that I had been wronged, a reason to let go of the offense that at the same time would validate my feelings and rights.

Isn't it amazing that we are so easily offended in life, and then offended by the Word of God, that tells us how to handle those offenses. The Bible doesn't validate our feelings and rights, it calls us to live for Him, revealing Him in and to a society that doesn't believe in nor know Him.

Each day presents us with many opportunities to be offended. If we are focused on ourselves, we will be. How much better when being reviled to not revile back, but to reveal Christ.

The eye is the lamp of your body; when your eye is clear, your whole body also is full of light; but when it is bad, your body also is full of darkness. Then watch out that the light in you is not darkness. (Luke 11:34-35)

How's your eyesight today?

No comments: