Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Attitudes

Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come forth from God and was going back to God, got up from supper, and laid aside His garments; and taking a towel, He girded Himself.  (Jn 13:3-4, NASB)

This came about at the end of Jesus’ earthly ministry.  He had said everything he needed to say, and done all He needed to do, except die.  We find Him here spending the last evening with His disciples and desiring a way to impart strength, understanding, and direction to them.

He didn’t cry out “Wash my feet for I am the Messiah.”  Nor did He say “Bow down to me, I am soon to be exalted.”  Nor did He say “Prepare Me to be an offering.“ No, He said nothing at this point.

He took off his outer garments, put a towel around his waist, filled a basin with water, and began to wash his disciples feet. When He got done He said:

“I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”
(John 13:15, NIV)
Jesus knew who He was, where He had come from, and where He was going.  Jesus stayed true to His mission.  He came as a servant.  He left as a servant.  He neither demanded nor expected His “rights”. 

Paul encourages us in Philippians 2:5-7, NASB:

Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.  (Php 2:5-7, NASB)

It is an attitude that says “it is not about me.”  It is an attitude that says “I am here to serve.”  It is an attitude that says “the mission will be accomplished.”

As we finish off here, let us ask ourselves, does the mission continue in me?  Am I continuing the example set forth by Jesus?  Do I have an attitude that enables me to serve others, or do I just have an attitude?

No comments: