Monday, September 16, 2013

Lovesick


(From Song of Solomon 5:2-6, 8 NASB)

“I was asleep but my heart was awake.
A voice! My beloved was knocking:
‘Open to me, my sister, my darling,
My dove, my perfect one!
For my head is drenched with dew,
My locks with the damp of the night.’
“I have taken off my dress,
How can I put it on again?
I have washed my feet,
How can I dirty them again?
“My beloved extended his hand through the opening,
And my feelings were aroused for him.
“I arose to open to my beloved;
And my hands dripped with myrrh,
And my fingers with liquid myrrh,
On the handles of the bolt.
“I opened to my beloved,
But my beloved had turned away and had gone!
My heart went out to him as he spoke.
I searched for him but I did not find him;
I called him but he did not answer me...
“I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem,
If you find my beloved,
As to what you will tell him:
For I am lovesick.”

God does not always come to us at a convenient time. He does not always call to us when the time is opportune. Sometimes He comes when it is inconvenient for us. And just when we are not expecting Him to show up, there He is.

As in the case of the Shulammite, she had gone to bed and was settled in.  It wasn’t that she had no desire, or that her heart wasn’t towards her beloved.  It just wasn’t a convenient time. She had put on her bed clothes and washed her feet - all of which she would have to do over again.

But at the revelation of His glory, she can no longer resist, and quickly runs to the door, grasping the handle still dripping with His glory and anointing. She swings open the door, but alas, there is only the residue of His anointing left, nothing but departing glory.

How can it be that our hearts are so hungry for God, that our spirits yearn so for Him, and yet we let those precious moments slip away? I don’t know, but lets not stop at just experiencing the residue of His glory that is left over after he has departed. Let's not be satisfied with His left over anointing, but cry out all the more for Him, for His presence. 

Maybe that moment will not find Him, but let’s not stop short! Let's not settle for less than Him. Let's rouse ourselves and assure all that we are lovesick for Him.

We are constantly gripped by desire and longing for only Him.  He will surely come again.  When our purified desire is met by the glory of His revelation, we shall be satisfied.

No comments: