Saturday, May 26, 2007

Simple Obedience

I was reading to my son Zachariah today. It was a little book called "When We Grow Up" from the Before Time Began Series. The little prehistoric creature friends wanted to camp out in the woods, but their parents wouldn’t let them. One of them decided they would anyway and manipulated the whole group into following them.

It wasn’t long before they were in trouble. The ring leader of the group had gotten into some quicksand and they couldn‘t get her out (I’m pretty sure it was a female). As things started getting desperate, the grandfather of one of the group of friends appeared and got the one stuck in the quicksand out. He then said to them:

“Until you learn to follow simple rules, you’ll never see or understand all the secrets of the Great Valley.”

Now that was a good line. I didn’t expect to find God speaking in the pages of Zach’s little book … but there, unmistakably, was His voice. It is amazing the times, the places, and the unexpected ways we can hear God speaking to us. It seems to also usually be when we least expect it.

It would be easy at this point to say, “What a great lesson for my son!” But I realize that while this is a great lesson for my son, God was speaking to me.

May we learn to recognize and respond to His voice every time He speaks or reveals Himself to us.

He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much. (Lk 16:10 NASB)

No comments: