Thursday, May 3, 2007

Found Faithful

Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. (1 Cor 4:2)

When the movie “Indian Jones And The Last Crusade” came out, my wife Sandy and I went to see it with some a couple friends. It was an enjoyable movie, but what I was taken by a scene found near the end of it.

As the earthquake began happening that destroyed the cavern where the “holy grail“ was found, and the chasm was opening, the old knight stood on far side of it, looked Indiana in the eyes and gestured farewell. I sat in the theater for what seemed about twenty minutes after the movie weeping into my crumpled up gray sweatshirt, with one of our friends keeping me company.

I was so taken by that knight and his dedication. So much was communicated in that look he exchanged with Harrison Ford and that farewell gesture. I cannot call it a wave, it was an uplifted hand, palm facing outward that said “Farewell, we shall not see each other again. Do not feel bad about that but be at peace. I am being faithful to that which I was called to. When I accepted this call I fully expected to carry it out until death. Do not despair for me, for this is my destiny. I freely give my life for that with which I have been entrusted.”

“ … we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who examines our hearts.” (1 Thes 2:4)

No comments: