Thursday, May 8, 2014

Still In The Business of Smashing End Tables





When they had rowed three or three and a half miles, they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were terrified.
(John 6:19, NIV)




I have a friend who says Jesus likes to rock our end tables. We are sitting there nice and comfortable on our couches, everything is in order, the lamp is on the end table giving out a nice glow of light and then God comes in and rocks or even knocks over our end table. God has been know to even smash end tables. God has a way of dismantling our wrong beliefs, sensibilities, and world views.






I have had my end tables smashed. I tried putting them together with duct tape, screws and nails, but they would not hold the lamp any more. I then just set them in the corner and tried to figure out what I could use them for. I finally figured out they weren’t good for anything any more, and threw them out. God will definitely do things that you don’t think He would do. We think God is going to do what is best for us, but we are wrong. He is going to do what is really best for us.




We want our lives nice, easy, safe, orderly, fun, organized, full of what ever, while God wants us to be conformed to the image of Christ. There in is the problem. We are really wanting God to do our will, and He is set upon doing His will, not only in our lives but also in the lives of others, which really is best for us all.




Jesus would never do that! Do what? Walk on water? Do things that are not expected or normal? Do things that will scare you?




Jesus said, “Don‘t be afraid, it‘s Me!.” They could have ignored the apparition, paddled harder, and talked about how their imaginations and fear got the best of them. Not only seeing things, but hearing things. Peter says, “Lord if it is You, call me to come.” Jesus says, “Come on Peter, I want to give you a bigger revelation of who I Am. I want to reveal myself to you in a way you have never known Me, and could not except for this circumstance. I Am much more than you have ever imagined, or known. I don’t just give life, I Am Life! I don’t just speak truth, I Am Truth! I don’t just show the way, I Am the Way!




God can and does come to us in unfamiliar ways that we will not always recognize. Let's not let fear hinder us from coming to and learning from Him. “Lord if that is You, call me to come.” We think that to be uncertainty, but it is courage in the very face of fear. I’m scared Lord, but if that is You, call to me, and help me to come.

No comments: