Saturday, February 2, 2008

Naked

“and they knew they were naked” (Gen 3:7)

We were having family devotions the other night out of Genesis chapter 3. As soon as my daughter heard “and they knew they were naked”, she let out an “Ouuuuuuu, they were naked?”, which was followed by a louder cry of “We’re not going to be naked in heaven are we?” closely followed by “I’m not, I’m bringing clothes!”

It kind of reminded me of that dream. You know the one, you’re at school and you are naked. You’re wandering around looking for something to put on, and nobody is really noticing you. Then you find a wash cloth, cover yourself with it, and everyone starts staring at you.

Genesis 3:7 is worded in the NASB “Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loin coverings.” The NLT words the first part of that verse “At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness. “ Biblically, shame and nakedness seems to go together, for instance, Isaiah 47:3 begins "Your nakedness will be uncovered, Your shame also will be exposed.” Gen 3:7 NLT says, “At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness. So they sewed fig leaves together to cover themselves.”

We are ashamed of being seen as sinful as we really are. We do not want the things in our past or present that we are ashamed of to be exposed. We want those things covered. Praise God for the blood of Jesus!

Adam and Eve suddenly saw themselves as they really were. They knew they had sinned by being disobedient to God and they were ashamed. We all have to get to that point before God can cover us. Our eyes must be opened, we must know that we are naked, our sin bare before God, and we have only shame for our covering.

How awful the state is of the person who has had their conscience seared by sin to the point they no longer have opened eyes and no knowledge that they are naked.

You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." (Rev 3:17-23 NIV)

No comments: